Friday 28 September 2012

St Botolphs Priory Colchester illustration

Tucked away in a back street between the castle and the town rail station in Colchester, is an historic ruin that I had seen pictures of but never managed to figure out where it was exactly. My Son had to meet in St Botolph's Church for a special service with Air Cadets and veterans and the Church was beside the ancient priory which dates back to the 1100s.

I took the opportunity to sit and illustrate St Botolph's Priory on what was a rather overcast and windy morning. I was joined by a smartly dressed man collecting litter who was interested in my sketch. He told me a little about himself. Although homeless he liked to help out by voluntarily keeping the church and Priory grounds free of litter and encouraging youngsters to stay on the straight and narrow. Nice man and an example of goodness in the face of adversity.

He is my lasting memory of the illustration - it happens so many times if you spend an hour with a sketch pad.

illustration St Botolphs
St Botolphs Priory


Please Choose

Hand signed A4 Print of pen and marker sketch on Bockingford 190gsm watercolour paper £14.99
Original 12' x 9" pen and marker sketch on 140lb water colour paper £125
© Robert R Wisdom www.theartofengland.co.uk 2012