Friday 19 October 2012

Drawing of St Mary Magdalen, Billericay

Billericay Essex drawing
Billericay Essex

The church of St Mary Magdalen is the 18th century church that dominates the heart of Billericay's High Street. The first time I drew this I was a student at The Billericay School. In 1970 the BBC's Songs of Praise was to be filmed within the churches walls, and my Art teacher (either Mrs King or Mr Brown) suggested that if I drew the church, they would see to it that it was hung in the church office and I would see it on TV along with countless other millions of viewers.

I set about my masterpiece with enthusiasm and from memory it was quite an accomplished piece for my age but it never once made it as far as the cathode ray tube, and I never saw it again.

This drawing is a revisit to the scene many years later. Chapel Street's ever-present cottages disappearing to the left and the High Street and Billericay's shops to the right. The war memorial proudly displays the fallen from the wars the local townsfolk have lost son's to, contributing to all our freedoms.

I think its a pity (aesthetically speaking) that this focal point now is encased in safety railings. Sign of the times.

Please Choose

St Mary Magdalen Church, High Street, Billericay, Essex.
Hand signed A4 Print of pen and marker sketch on Bockingford 190gsm watercolour paper £14.99
© Robert R Wisdom www.theartofengland.co.uk 2012